By discovering orthodontic issues early, our experienced orthodontic team can design treatment plans to reduce or eliminate these issues before they become more severe…
Early intervention orthodontics is vital to establishing any key myofunctional issues in the teeth and jaws while the child’s dental structure is still developing. By identifying these issues in their initial stages our orthodontists can create results for your child which, in some cases, allows them to avoid the need for braces later in life.
By allowing an assessment of your child’s dento-facial development by around 7-8 years of age, you can help your child have a greater chance of a beautiful straight smile…
The Australian Association of Orthodontists recommends that the initial orthodontic evaluation should occur either at the first signs of orthodontic issues or by 7-8 years of age. This is the optimal time period for our orthodontists to assess your child’s smile and initiate treatment that generally provides optimal results for minimal time and expense.
How do I know if my child will require an assessment?
We recommend you bring your child in by 7-8 years of age for a comprehensive orthodontic assessment regardless of the state of their dental development. However your child may need to be assessed earlier if they show any of the following signs:
- Constant thumb-sucking
- Premature or late loss of baby teeth
- A sunken or protruding jaw
- Any dysfunction in the jaw
- An overbite, under bite or cross bite
The importance of early intervention for orthodontic issues…
Ensuring your child’s teeth and jaws are in alignment early can greatly enhance their dental health and aesthetics in later life. Early intervention orthodontics conducted by our experienced orthodontists can help align your child’s malocclusions, misaligned bite or crooked teeth while the bone is still developing. This means they are much more easily guided to their correct positioning and can be very beneficial for your child long-term.
There are many benefits to helping your child achieve a healthy bite and jaw alignment early, such as:
- Straight teeth and aligned jaws provide optimal support to the soft tissues, enhancing your child’s dento-facial aesthetics and their confidence as a result
- Aligned bites provide better function of the jaws and mouth, which can help your child become more confident in fundamental actions such as speaking or eating
- Straight teeth allow for a cleaner mouth as they are much easier to clean, optimising your child’s oral health
Some of the direct results of early treatment include:
- Creating room for crowded, erupting teeth
- Creating facial symmetry through influencing jaw growth
- Reducing the risk of trauma to protruding front teeth
- Preserving space for un-erupted teeth
- Reducing the need for tooth removal
- Reducing treatment time with braces
If you want to find out more about our treatments or to book an appointment, please contact our friendly staff today on (08) 8373 1363.