- Brush your teeth and braces after every meal. If you are unable to brush straight away rinse your mouth out with water. Or better still – carry a small bottle of mouthwash with you.
- Floss every day. Your orthodontist can give you a floss threader to make it easier.
- Call your orthodontist straight away if your braces feel loose or if they break.
- Don’t miss an orthodontic appointment. As a missed appointment will mean that your treatment will be delayed and you will have to wear your braces for longer
- Don’t eat hard, sticky, or crunchy foods as this has the potential to damage or break braces.
- Don’t chew pens, fingernails, ice or anything that may break your braces.